2008-07-09

"I will not allow house prices to get out of control" Gordon Brown

Even though I can remember how I got there, I found this on the Renegade Economist. This quote is so famous and so hilarious that I couldn't keep myself from posting it as a praise for our beloved leaders and politicians.
When Tony Blair’s Labour Party secured power with a landslide victory in 1997, Brown was appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer. In his first budget speech to the House of Commons on July 2, 1997, he made a promise to the people of Britain:
“I am determined that as a country we never return to the instability, speculation, and negative equity that characterised the housing market in the 1980s and 1990s. Volatility is damaging both to the housing market and to the economy as a whole. So stability will be central to our policy to help home owners. And we must be prepared to take the action necessary to secure it. I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the recovery”.

No comments: